Saturday, February 6, 2016

Week 5 / 2016 - Divergent Series: Divergent Review

The first month of the 2016 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge is finally over. I have to say that I am actually really pleased with myself about being able to make it this far. I have never considered myself a reader, that is not to say that I don't like books, but it can be hard to find a story that really pulls me in and peaks my interest.

On another note, I seem to have become addicted to the young-adult genre of books. This makes sense as I myself am a young adult, but it still fascinates me none the less. The genre seems to combine some of my favorite themes from fictional and non-fictional stories. Those being: a good love story, some good action, and like-able characters. Those seem like such simple things to care about, but they are some of the things I have and will continue to love about reading.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say that compared to the movie, the book is about 1000 times better than the movie. After I was a little over half-way through the book I decided to watch the movie again, and I just couldn't finish it. I don't want to say I've become a book snob, but it seems that with certain book to movie adaptations I just wont be able to watch them anymore.

The book seems very well written, and while there are a few similarities between the Hunger Games series and the Divergent series, I think that they are both great books (I should know as I read them back to back from each other). I really liked Tri's character and how she was portrayed in the book. Being sort of an outcast in the Dauntless faction but also fitting in perfectly at the same time. It kind of reminded me of what it was like when we got a new kid in school. She is secretly very strong but it is hidden behind this small and weak looking girl.

Of course we cant forget about Four / Tobias. His character is also really relatable as well. He secretly has a huge crush on Tris. Not only because she was from the same faction as he was, but because they are more alike than even they know. He initially comes off as this tough and silent type of guy who just wants to get his work done in peace, but we later see him bloom into a guy who is in love. I know that sounds cheezy but you would understand what I mean if you read the book as well.

One of my favorite things from the book is Tris and Tobias's love story, or arch, or whatever you want to call it. Im a sucker for a good love story and Divergent certainly has it. Both of them have this outcast kind of personality about them which is why I think they work so well together.

The story itself is pretty well written, and definitely keeps the reader interested throughout the whole thing. The beginning could seem a bit boring to some, but the story moves quickly to the time when Tris becomes Dauntless. I think that, for me at least, the story is interesting in the same way that I found the Hunger Games to be interesting in that it is non-stop action.

I would definitely recommend this book to fans of the young-adult genre (if you haven't already read it), and fans of the sci-fi genre. I would also recommend Insurgent (the next book in the series), but would not recommend Allegiant (the final book). If you want to know why, just google the book on Amazon and read the reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment