Saturday, February 13, 2016

Week 6 / 2016 - Divergent Series: Insurgent Review

This week I read Insurgent (the second book in the Divergent Series). I feel that I have burned myself

Much like other things in our lives all good things must come to an end. I felt that Insurgent was no where near as good as Divergent. I don't fault the Author on this one mainly because the story just doesn't seem as interesting as the first one. The story suffers from falling flat at certain points. It definitely has a lot of action, but the story seems to stumble in locations making it tough to get through parts of the book.

Outside of those parts of the book it is pretty good. Fans of the series probably enjoyed it more than I did. I feel like I was hoping that the book was going to be more than it was. I hate some of the decisions or thinking that the characters use in the book (Common sense does not seem to exist). Sometimes I don't understand why characters make the choices that they do, but then I remember if it fits the plot ;).

The book starts where the first book left off, and details the struggle against the Erudite Faction and Dauntless Traitors. The remaining loyal Dauntless elect new leaders (happens latter in the book) and Align with the Factionless to take on the Erudite and Dauntless traitors.

The love story arch between Tris and Tobias felt really bland in this book. I'm not sure what it was about them, but their arch just felt a bit repetitive. The same situations would crop up over and over again with both of them not trusting the other and then they would make up after something happened. Overall it wasn't as good as it was in Divergent.

Overall it wasn't a bad book, but it just seemed to lose the charm that Divergent had. It definitely got a lot more dark than the first book, and there was a definite shift towards the story being much more serious. I feel that this impacted my want to read more of the book. I don't have much more to say on the book other than if you enjoyed Divergent you will find much more of the same thing in Insurgent.
out on young-adult series books for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment