Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Week 7 / 2016 - Stardust Review

I have to say that I regret reading Stardust.

*Now Tuesday*
Unfortunately I had to choose between doing work and writing my review, so here I am on Tuesday now writing my review.

One of the things that stardust has going for it is that it is a pretty typical fantasy genre story. It is not hard to follow once you take out all of the over explaining and break it down into sections. Its a pretty easy read (my ebook was only 142 pages), and the audio book is no more than a little over 5 hours long.

The beginning of the story starts with a little backstory. Here you meet Dunstan Thorn, our main characters father. He currently has feelings for a girl in the village, but when the market comes to town he meets a faerie girl with whom he later sleeps with one time. She births a child named Tristran and sends it to Dunstan which is where our story begins.

Tristran's story is not unlike his fathers. Tristran has feelings for a girl in the village named Victoria Forester. Unfortunately she does not feel the same way about Tristran (although he does not know that). One night they are walking together and they both see a star fall from the sky. Tristran says that if he retrieves the star that Victoria will give him whatever he desires, and she agrees. Then Tristran sets out to retrieve the star.

This is where you meet Yvaine, the fallen star. She is the other main character in the story. In the beginning she does not like Tristran, and plans to make their trip as hard as possible. But over time, she begins to develop feelings for him (they are traveling for a long time together to get back the the wall that separates Tristrans village from Faerie). Once Tristran returns to Wall with the star Yvaine, he finds out the truth from Victoria. He then realizes that he actually has feelings for Yvaine and wants to be with her. Even though Yvaine cannot pass the wall out of the land of Faerie, they live happily ever after.

One of the things that I like in a story is a good love arch. Luckily for me Stardust definitely delivered on the one. Although it doesn't start out seeming like Yvaine and Tristran should be together, over time you just begin to root for these two to get together in the end. They are both very kind and I really enjoyed that they did get together in the end.

Overall I would recommend this book to others looking for a quick fantasy read. For those that are fans of the book, you should probably give it a read again. I will say that for some reason it felt like I had already read this book at some point, but oh well cant hurt to read it again.
those that over explain or describe things. One such book that I put in this category is the Hobbit. Outside of that, that book was not too long and was a pretty quick read. (I didn't have time to start reading until Thursday).

No comments:

Post a Comment