Saturday, August 6, 2016

Week 32 / 2016 - Cursed Child Review

Welcome everyone. I sort of gave up on the book challenge on week 7. For some reason stardust
sapped whatever drive I had to finish the book challenge. It isnt that it was a bad story, but one that just seemed to put me off of reading books for a little while. But I just recently read the new Harry Potter book and figured I would do a review for it in my 2016 book challenge.

Today we will be looking at the newly released Harry Potter and The Cursed Child book. Some people might argue that it isn’t actually a book and while it is technically a play, it is still an amazing story. It is so close to being an actual book that if it didn’t tell you it was a play you might not even know that it is one.

One of the first things that I would like to talk about I’d the general perception of this story. It seems that the fan base or Harry Potter is pretty split on this story. I have seen some people say that they love the story, while others state their dislike for it. I can understand why they dislike it. For one thing it seems like nothing more than a simple cash grab for fans expecting a long story full of crazy plot twists like in the original 7 books. Unfortunately you don’t get a long story here (most people forget that it is still a play and would be shorter than a novel). What you do get though is an amazing story , and a great entry into the “modern” era of Harry Potter. I only hope that this will cause JK Rowling to start writing more books again.

The story focuses on the children of our 3 main protagonists from the first 7 books. You have our two protagonists Albus Potter, son of Harry and Ginny, and Scorpius, son of Draco and Astoria. They first meet on the Howards express and from there our amazing adventure begins. Though out the story people constantly have high expectations of Albus simply because he Is the son of Harry Potter, and this drives him to be your typical moody teenager who rebels against their parents. I found it interesting that they decided to make Scorpius and Albus best friends in the book when their fathers hate each other so much, but it was something I came to really like about the style of the story as I progressed further into the book.

If I had to explain the story quickly to someone, I would tell them imagine the first Harry Potter book, but better. I simply loved the idea of time travel, and the consequences that it might bring. I found that it brought something original to an already great series. The story will definitely not disappoint Harry Potter fans looking for some new material. Overall it is a pretty good read, and at less than 300 pages it should be pretty quick to get through (although the first part of the book is boring it gets better near the end).

1 comment: